AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Tuesday 1 March 2011

The Tuesday Tip

On Tuesdays I post a tip for writers.

Today - Repetition.
Remember trawling through your manuscript trying to spot the repetitions, such as "Who's calling," he called.

Or perhaps, "He eyed the maid with interest. "Aye," he said, looking her in the eye, "I'm Iron Jack, the ironmonger, and I've come to collect Eileen's ironing."

I know, none of your writing is as bad as that. But if you laughed guiltily at the first example, here is the answer. A neat little downloadable gadget that will scan your manuscript for you and do all the hard work.

Here's the link.

http://www.gaddy.fr/repetitiondetector/online.php?l=en

6 comments:

  1. Oooh, how deliciously techy! Thanks, Dee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alis, the edits have arrived for The Gilded Lily and I'm spotting quite a few even without the device!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you wrote something about this because it happens to me all the time. I AM that bad...should I start digging my own writing grave or what?

    Sometimes I think this happens as a direct result of typing out my ideas. When you have a pen and a paper, you really think more about constructing your sentences. It's very interesting the difference in how my mind works, depending on my medium of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Jennifer, I quite agree. sometimes I think I insert extra words to give me more thinking time as I type. With pen and paper it seem to be less so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well hello! I'm hopping around with the redux. Lovely blog you have here! I'm excited about trying this out!

    Thanks.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete